Skip to main content

Welcome to the blog


Do people do these things anymore?  Hello?  Is this thing turned on??

I'm starting this blog as a way to find my videos on YouTube and also a place I can add more detail, my thoughts and ramblings about things that don't make compelling video content.

Now, I'm not trying to imply that my videos are "compelling", but there is only so much rambling that viewers will take before skipping ahead or abandoning the video all together.  I know how I am when I watch videos.

Some of the things that I try to do when I make videos:

  • Not explain ahead of time in great detail what I'm GOING to do, then showing me doing it.  So many videos I see do exactly this, but I'm trying to avoid that.
  • I do know I have a tendency to put a lot of "Uhhhh  So....." kind of words in my clips.  I'm trying to edit those out, but then sometimes you have a jarring jump cut where every word is a separate cut.  I think many people are used to those kinds of jump cuts, especially when watching YouTube, but it definitely does something to the flow.
  • Try to think about variety in scenes - different camera angles, etc.
  • Music- I think having a sound track of music below whatever I'm doing gives a kind of continuity and also helps prevent the user from getting bored.
  • Be ruthless in editing.  Sometimes I will delete entire scenes when I realize that nobody but me cares about what I'm talking about and it just isn't interesting. 
  • Try to reply to comments and engage with the people that are watching as much as possible.

Anyway, if you're reading this, chances are you are someone that likes to dig into something much further than most, so welcome to the blog and please feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ep 6. - Cherokee National Forest in the Oliver

This trip was to the Chilhowee Recreation Area campground in the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee.  I was excited about making this trip, hoping for some nice fall colors and I wasn't disappointed.  I was probably a week or two too late for the most colorful foliage. In retrospect, I probably should have planned this trip for October.  The water release for the Ocoee was still being done on weekends and the foliage might have been a little more spectacular. When I booked the trip on recreation.gov , it showed most campsites as being taken, so this one was one of the few that was a 30A electric site.  Plus, the sign at the start of the road up the mountain showed "No Vacancy"- not sure what was going on.  I believe this campground did shut down on Nov. 6th, and my reservation was for Oct. 29th through Nov. 3rd.  Maybe this was part of their year-end shutdown. I did notice the camp host for loops A/B at the top of the hill had a very messy campsite....