This trip was to the Chilhowee Recreation Area campground in the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee. I was excited about making this trip, hoping for some nice fall colors and I wasn't disappointed. I was probably a week or two too late for the most colorful foliage.
In retrospect, I probably should have planned this trip for October. The water release for the Ocoee was still being done on weekends and the foliage might have been a little more spectacular.
When I booked the trip on recreation.gov, it showed most campsites as being taken, so this one was one of the few that was a 30A electric site. Plus, the sign at the start of the road up the mountain showed "No Vacancy"- not sure what was going on. I believe this campground did shut down on Nov. 6th, and my reservation was for Oct. 29th through Nov. 3rd. Maybe this was part of their year-end shutdown.
I did notice the camp host for loops A/B at the top of the hill had a very messy campsite. There were plastic containers and junk lying around everywhere. I believe they left while I was there, but I never saw them. I did see the camp hosts for the C/D loops when I went down there to dump my tanks on the way out. They were riding in the campground on their golf cart and waved to me and thanked me for coming. I noticed their campsite was neat and orderly. After the camp host on A/B left, I saw a Forest Service employee come by and he did not seem very happy with the state of the campsite.
This was my first trip using an outdoor rug outside the camper. I really like it, I picked it up at Walmart and it was not very expensive. It folds up to a very manageable size and has a carrying handle. I found that it helps keep the floor inside the camper a little cleaner. I carry an electric leaf blower with me and usually blow the leaves around the site. After I did that, I put down the rug and then once during the stay I used the blower to clean off the rug.
Very close to the campground is McKamy (or McCamy) Lake. It is pretty small, but has a man-made sandy beach and a day-use area that I think a lot of people use during the summer. The picnic tables in that area are brand new.










Comments
Post a Comment